Introduction of Otsuma Women’s University
In April 2021, Otsuma Women’s University joined the United Nations Academic Impact initiative, a partnership between the United Nations and higher education institutions all over the world.
Founded in 1908 as a sewing school for girls and women, Otsuma Women’s University is a private higher education located on two campuses, one in central Tokyo, right next to the Imperial Palace, and the other in the suburbs of Tokyo. Otsuma has a school motto “Haji-wo-shire (Never disgrace yourself)”, which promotes dignity as girls and women. This motto encourages students to respect each other, and appreciate what they already have. It guides students to overcome the obstacles to success, that are faced by girls and women in a society which tends to be male-oriented. It also teaches students to be happy in life!
Our university has a traditional reputation of producing “good wives and wise mothers”. Although this reputation sounds sexist and outdated, Otsuma does not encourage girls and women to give up their profession to marry and have children. Instead, Otsuma educates women to drive themselves to become leaders in various fields and industries, to contribute to peace and social development, and to nurture and develop their own capabilities.
Among the ten basic principles of the United Nations Academic Impact initiative, Otsuma Women’s University is committed to support and advance the following 6 principles:
4. A commitment to the opportunity for every interested individual to acquire the skills and knowledge necessary for the pursuit of higher education;
5. A commitment to building capacity in higher education systems across the world;
6. A commitment to encouraging global citizenship through education;
8. A commitment to addressing issues of poverty through education;
9. A commitment to promoting sustainability through education;
10. A commitment to promoting inter-cultural dialogue and understanding, and the “unlearning” of intolerance, through education.
Under the United Nations Academic Impact Initiative, Otsuma Women’s University will continue to strive harder to provide a comprehensive university education, research and activities. This is especially because Otsuma advocates the importance of education, especially for girls and women.
2021.05.19Introduction of Otsuma Women’s University